This giveaway is now closed. Thanks for stopping by. The winners are Jennifer R and Mary T. Congrats and Happy Thanksgiving!
With Thanksgiving just one week away, our family has already started planning the menu. Traditionally, we’ve spent the holiday with my in-laws, but this year, we’re staying close to home. Rather than one household cooking the entire meal, as is typical with my husband’s family, we like to divide the cooking up, sharing both new and traditional recipes amongst all of us.
Turkey is a staple in our household and while the hubby hasn’t prepared one in awhile, he’s aspiring to re-create this Roasted Turkey with Pomegranate Sauce and Wild Rice and Goat Cheese Stuffing recipe from Chef Bobby Flay.
Creating a Thanksgiving dinner takes time, patience, and creativity. In order to enjoy the holiday, avoid unnecessary stress, and celebrate all that you’re thankful for, we strive to follow these simple tips:
1. Share responsibilities. Whether you decide that it’s easier to have a few people shop and a few people cook, or divide up the meal so that each family cooks an entire dish, sharing responsibilities takes the weight off the host and allows for culinary diversity within the meal.
2. Start early. Rather than waiting until Thanksgiving week to shop or the day of to cook, strive to accomplish as much as possible ahead of time. Reserve the day before and day of for preparing those dishes that cannot be made ahead of time.
3. Diversify the menu. While my husband’s family is uber-traditional when it comes to the Thanksgiving menu, our family is more relaxed and open to new recipes. Why not brine your turkey this year? Or serve rice pilaf in place of yams? Unless your family is set on a traditional menu, I recommend including a mix of family favorites and newly discovered recipes this Thanksgiving.
4. Consider serving the meal buffet-style. Our family prefers to sit at a table together enjoying a plated meal, as opposed to my husband’s family, where the men retreat to the couch while the women chat in the family room. Even if you decide that a sit-down meal is in order, consider setting each dish on a separate table so friends and family can serve themselves before taking a seat at the table.
5. Consider eco-friendly, disposable plates, cups, flatware, and napkins. Clean up after Thanksgiving is always a chore. Because there will likely be a large number of dishes used to prepare and serve the meal, consider using compostable, disposable tableware made from recycled materials to ease the burden of clean-up.
If you’re looking for some advice on all-things Turkey, check out Butterball’s Turkey Talk Line where you can get your answers questioned by experts.
Win It! Two of you will win a gift certificate for a turkey from Butterball! Simply leave me a comment with one tip for making Thanksgiving better with your family. Comments will close on Sunday, November 20th at 11:59 PM PST and I will need addresses Monday to ensure they reach you before Thanksgiving.
US Residents only. Duplicates and comments not including the above information will be disqualified. Comments are moderated. If you don’t see your comment in a reasonable amount of time, send me an email. Bloggers and non-bloggers may enter. If you don’t want to leave your email address, please be sure to check back for my announcement on the winner. Please note that winners must respond within 48 hours of being announced/contacted or another winner will be drawn.
Want an extra entry? Do any or all of the following and receive an extra entry for each one. Be sure to leave me a separate comment for each additional entry.
Follow me on Twitter and tweet the following (or something like it) “ I just entered a #giveaway to win an @butterball gift certificate @rockinmama http://tinyurl.com/6ogk26m”
Rockin’ Mama Facebook fans automatically receive an extra entry
Subscribe to my feed via email or reader.
Blog about this giveaway. It doesn’t have to be a separate post. Just include a blurb about it when you blog about other giveaways.
Click on one of the very cute buttons below and digg, stumble, fav, etc. Just let me know what you did in the comments!
No compensation was received for this post. Gift certificates for review/giveaway supplied by Butterball.