I haven’t baked in about a week and I was craving cornbread this morning…the sweet buttery version as opposed to the more savory, pair-with-chili variety. I knew my son would want to be able to eat it, but to be honest, I didn’t think I could pull off a vegan version that would taste anything like the original. After experimenting a bit, I finally came up with one I’m satisfied with. I always know it’s good when my son comes back and asks for seconds, which was what happened this morning.
1/4 cup vegan butter (we use the soy-free version)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 1/2 teaspoons of Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 2 tablespoons of warm water
2 tablespoon sugar (may add one additional tablespoon for a sweeter cornbread)
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoons salt
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Grease an 8 inch square baking pan.
- Combine dry ingredients in bowl and mix well.
- Combine egg replacer, milk, and butter together.
- Stir into dry ingredients but don’t over mix.
- Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Recipe and photos: Rockin’ Mama
- Beastly Ball Returns to the Los Angeles Zoo - May 8, 2023
- Like Water for Chocolate at Segerstrom Center for the Arts - March 24, 2023
- Mean Girls on Broadway at Segerstrom Center for the Arts - March 4, 2023
8 Responses to Rockin’ Recipes: Vegan Cornbread
I make something similar to this, but also gluten free. Looks good!
wow this looks great! when are you going to share that banana bread recipe 🙂
Hey Vanessa….Oooh…yes…sorry! I forgot….Next week? : )
Shelby Barone says
Yummy!! I love cornbread, but now that we are gluten-free it’s going to be harder to make.
Yum!! I want to make this…
It looks delicious! My last attempt at cornbread didn’t go well so I really want to try again…would your recipe also work if I used egg instead of egg substitute?
Eva Smith says
Looks very tasty! Yummy!