Very often when I’m planning a meal, I’ll spend a lot of time and effort creating the main dish, leaving the appetizers and side dishes as an afterthought. In fact during this season, I often find myself running to our local market for frozen or ready-prepared appetizers/side dishes simply due to time constraints.
In an effort to create healthier appetizers and side dishes, I will be featuring several holiday recipes that can easily be prepared to compliment a main dish.
I love breads, and one of my favorite appetizers is a flavorful crostini. Inspired by the Italian appetizer, I decided to create a Tuna Crostini featuring capers, sun dried tomatoes, and roasted red bell peppers. You can easily prepare several varieties of Crostini with meats and cheeses to tide guests over until the main dish is served.
- 1 can of BUMBLE BEE Prime Fillet Solid Light Tuna - Tonno in Olive Oil drained
- 1 tablespoon Hellmann's Mayonnaise Dressing With Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice plus a pinch of grated lemon rind
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons of capers
- Sun Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil blended into a paste with olives or capers
- Roasted Red Bell Pepper sliced
- 1 loaf of French Bread sliced diagonally
Roast bell pepper until soft in the oven
Toast French Bread Slices with a drizzle of Olive Oil
Combine tuna, mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon rind, garlic, and capers in a bowl and set aside
Spread a thin layer of sun dried tomato mixture on bread
Top with Tuna mixture
Garnish with red bell peppers
This is a simple, savory recipe that blends some of my favorite Mediterranean flavors into a gourmet appetizer.
Stay tuned for more holiday recipes!
This post was created in conjunction with my involvement with Bumble Bee Foods, who provided information, products and conference sponsorship.
Recipe, Images: Rockin’ Mama
- CHOC Walk Returns to the Disneyland Resort – Special Events and Ways to Support - June 28, 2023
- Beastly Ball Returns to the Los Angeles Zoo - May 8, 2023
- Like Water for Chocolate at Segerstrom Center for the Arts - March 24, 2023