While I tend to be a foodie, my drinks are actually quite boring. I could live on iced tea and water and be perfectly content. When I talked to my husband about creating a recipe with Gourmet Garden Herbs & Spices, my mind immediately went to food, while his went to drinks! Since I really wanted to see how versatile these fresh, packaged herbs and spices are, I tried their Chimichurri recipe and the hubby created an incredible Basil Ginger Frozen Lemonade Cocktail.
We love frozen drinks, particularly on warm summer days. Traditionally, those drinks are always fruity and sweet, but in more sophisticated establishments, herbs and spices are used to create varied flavor profiles. Utilizing Gourmet Garden’s Basil Paste, he created a sweet-savory drink that can easily be enjoyed by the pool or with a fresh summer meal.
Recipe: Basil Ginger Frozen Lemonade Cocktail
- 2 inches of fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup Vodka (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Gourmet Garden Basil Paste
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Dash of sea salt
- Fresh mint leaves
- Boil Ginger in water for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and discard Ginger slices
- Add sugar and dissolve
- Add Lemon Juice and Vodka
- Add Gourmet Garden Basil Paste
- Whisk to combine
- Pour into Ice Cream machine and churn until slushy
- Sugar lemon peel and freeze until ready to use
- Stir together 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar and a dash of Sea Salt
- Coat the rim of a martini glass in lemon juice and dip in sugar/salt mixture
- Carefully Scoop frozen drink into glass
- Garnish with sliced lemon, lemon peel and mint leaves
I tasted the “virgin” variety of this drink and it was absolutely refreshing with a perfect blend of sweet and savory (almost tart) flavors. The basil surprisingly complimented the drink nicely and adds a Mediterranean flair.
Very often we’ll purchase a variety of fresh herbs and spices only to have them go bad before we can use them up. If you love using fresh herbs and spices to add flavor to your dishes without adding fat, sodium, or artificial ingredients, Gourmet Garden’s new line is a great alternative. Available in the fresh produce department at your local Walmart, these herbs and spices are organically grown, gluten-free, and do not contain GMO’s, artificial flavors, or colors. While they must be stored in the refrigerator, they can be frozen and thawed as needed. In the refrigerator, they will last 3 months.
Be sure to come back tomorrow for my Chimichurri recipe featuring Gourmet Garden’s Parsley.