The story of Doctor Dolittle dates back to 1920. In author Hugh Lofting’s The Story of Doctor Dolittle, a physician opts to care for animals instead of humans, given his ability to communicate with them in their native languages. Interestingly enough, Doctor Dolittle first appeared in Lofting’s illustrated letters to his children as he wrote from the trenches during World War I. A century later and numerous adaptations to date, Universal Pictures released their live action version of Dolittle, starring Robert Downey Jr., Micheal Sheen, and Antonio Banderas. Families can enjoy Dolittle from home, available now on digital, 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD and On Demand.
Robert Downey Jr. naturally and effortlessly portrays Dolittle, the reimagined story of a man who has the keen ability to talk to animals. After the death of his wife, the famed doctor and veterinarian of Queen Victoria’s England isolates himself behind the walls of his manor with only his entourage of exotic animals as company.
When the young Queen of England falls ill, Dolittle is forced to set sail on an extraordinary adventure to a mythical island to search for a cure. As Dolittle comes across old enemies, he regains his wit and courage and discovers wondrous creatures.
Dolittle is accompanied by self-appointed apprentice Tommy Stubbins and a rowdy band of animal friends including an anxious gorilla, an enthusiastic, bird-brained duck, a cynical ostrich, and upbeat polar bear, and a headstrong parrot, who serves as Dolittle’s trusted advisor and confidante.
The film is funny and zany, much like Dolittle’s uncanny ability to talk to animals, and will generally appeal to kids, if only for those talking animals. There are loose messages about using your skills to help others, the value of teamwork, and the relationship between humans and animals. And while some themes of loss and grief are briefly touched upon, the film is overall uplifting.
Dolittle on Blu-ray and DVD – Bonus Features
Fly behind-the-scenes with Robert Downey Jr. and the star-studded cast to explore the wild world of DOLITTLE.
Catch incredible bonus content that you can only see on the 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™, DVD, and Digital release showcasing the making of the film and insight to all the cast.
- Talk to the Animals: Dolittle is surrounded by a varied cast of characters. Take a peek at all the fun the cast had giving each of the animals their unique voice.
- Robert Downey Jr. & Harry: See the unique bond the two actors formed on-set, and how Downey took the film’s young co-star under his wing.
- Becoming the Good Doctor: See how this team of talented artists brought the film to life, and how Robert Downey Jr. transformed into the iconic Dolittle.
- Antonio Banderas – Pirate King: Antonio Banderas discusses what attracted him to the project, his experiences working with Robert Downey Jr., and what he brought to the role of King Rassouli.
- The Wicked Dr. Müdfly: Who is the nefarious Dr. Blair Müdfly? Michael Sheen dives into his character’s motivations for being Dolittle’s foil.
- A Most Unusual House: It takes a special home to accommodate humans and animals alike. Explore the unique rooms and modifications that allow Dolittle to house anyone or anything – big or small.
Dolittle Printables and Coloring Sheets
To celebrate the release of the film on digital, Blu-ray, and DVD, download our free Dolittle Printables and Coloring Sheets for your home movie night.