This musical theatre girl is seriously missing the live shows I have grown up seeing in theaters across the world. The very last show I saw before the shutdown was A Bronx Tale, a show about love, loyalty, respect, and family set in the city where my parents met and began their life together. If you are missing the performing arts, visit Segerstrom Center for the Arts Center at Home.
Center at Home
Theaters are dark at present, but that does not mean that we cannot enjoy the arts virtually. Center at Home is an online portal featuring free activities, educational programs, and video highlights of performances at the Center. Highlights include videos of shows and artists from past and upcoming seasons, free classes from the ABT William J. Gillespie School and the School of Dance and Music for Children with Disabilities.
Center at Home continues to grow, with regular weekly updates for new content. There are three categories including Learn at Home, Performance Highlights, and The Center. All of the content is free, and you can receive updates regarding their latest offerings if you subscribe to the Center Connection weekly email.
American Ballet Theatre William J. Gillespie School Free Virtual Classes
- American Ballet Theatre William J. Gillespie School at Segerstrom Center for the Arts is partnering with ABT Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis (JKO) School to bring faculty and teaching artists certified in the ABT National Training Curriculum to your child at home. Children and parents can tune into @ABTSchool on Instagram and the ABT YouTube Channel for daily classes in ballet movement taught by former ABT dancers, and faculty from both schools.
- Classes are pre-recorded and uploaded at the following times:
- ABTots (Ages 2–4): Tuesdays & Thursdays at 7:00AM PST/ 10:00AM EST
- Primary (Ages 5–8): Mondays & Wednesdays at 11:00AM PST/ 2:00PM EST
- Classes will be saved on the @ABTSchool IGTV feed for access following the initial broadcast as well as the official ABT YouTube Channel.
School of Dance and Music for Children with Disabilities Free Virtual Classes
- The School of Dance and Music for Children with Disabilities will be offering 4 free virtual classes a week. The classes will include dance, music, and vocal lessons geared towards ages 4-22.
- Classes are pre-recorded and will be uploaded at the following times: Wednesdays at 5pm
- Ages 4-9, 10-15, 16-22
- Classes found on Center at Home
Arts Teach Teaching Artist Content
- Andrew Grueschow – Follow along at home as Center teaching artist, Andrew Grueschow, guides an interactive rhythm-making process.
- Ellen Schulze – Learn how to create your own cardboard tube marionette using found objects from home with Segerstrom Center teaching artist, Ellen Schulze.
- Baba the Storyteller – Baba the Storyteller uses the ancient West African craft known as Jaliyaa to share timeless tales.
- The Chameleons – Sharon Diskin of The Chameleons uses the art of mime and physical theater to perform a delightful story of wonder.
- Percussive Storytelling – Follow along with Segerstrom Center teaching artist, Cory Hills of Percussive Storytelling, as he uses percussion instruments to reimagine classic stories from around the globe.
- Jazzy Ash and the Leaping Lizards – Experience The Riverboat, an interactive musical journey through the history of jazz in America.
- Megan Hook – Discover the fundamentals of mindfulness and how together with music the practice can help us focus, express emotion, and even play.
- Haus of Improv – Discover the tools of an actor and use your imagination to play Statue Forest.
Summer at the Center Performances:
- As one of Segerstrom Center’s longest-running education programs, Summer at the Center uses the arts to empower young people. Enjoy performances by the cast of extraordinary community students, many of whom had never sung or danced before this program.
Family Series Artists:
- Sonia De Los Santos – Join Sonia De Los Santos from home and sing along to her beloved songs while learning about the stories that inspire her music.
- Sunday, May 17th, experience our Spring Carnival
- Found on Center at Home on 5/17
Tuesday Night Dance Virtual Classes
- Tuesday April 21st, April 28th, May 5th, May 12th
- Found on Center at Home
- Theme: Polynesian
OC Center Stage Virtual Submissions Open
- Submissions now open until June 1st. Learn more here.