Fridays are movie nights in our home and I love the ability to pull out Toy Story, Peter Pan, The Little Mermaid or another Disney favorite for my kids on a whim. So many of Disney’s classic films hold a special place in my heart, tied to memories of my own childhood. I love how the timelessness of these stories makes it possible to share the films I loved as a young girl with my own kids. The Little Mermaid is celebrating it’s 30th anniversary this year, and in honor of the occasion, Disney released the Walt Disney Signature Collection of The Little Mermaid with all-new bonus features and a sing-along.
The Little Mermaid
The Little Mermaid is based on Hans Christian Andersen’s classic fairy tale about a beautiful mermaid princess who dreams of becoming human. The film was originally released in theaters on Nov. 15, 1989 and won two Academy Awards for Best Original Score and Best Original Song (Under the Sea).
With this special 30th anniversary edition of The Little Mermaid, families can join the cast and sing-a-long to iconic songs like Under the Sea and Part of Your World. Plus, enjoy never-before-seen bonus features which bring legendary composer Alan Menken and some of Disney’s most recognizable leading ladies together around a piano to reminisce, sing and celebrate “The Little Mermaid. ”The latest installment of “Stories from Walt’s Office” compares Walt and Ariel’s love of collecting treasures. Viewers will also receive an inside look at the “The Little Mermaid” cast in their original recording sessions, explore hidden treasures and fun facts from the film, and enjoy a special performance of “Part of Your World” by a-cappella singing sensation DCapella.
The Little Mermaid” is the seventh title to join the Walt Disney Signature Collection, which includes groundbreaking films created or inspired by the imagination and legacy of Walt Disney, featuring timeless stories and characters that have touched generations. These include “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Pinocchio,” “Bambi,” “The Lion King” and “Lady and the Tramp.”
The Little Mermaid Bonus Features
The 30th anniversary edition of The Little Mermaid features hours of new bonus features including the following:
- Sing-Along Mode: Sing along to the movie in this sing-along version of the film.
- Alan Menken & the Leading Ladies Song: Join Alan Menken, Jodi Benson (Ariel), Paige O’Hara (Belle), Judy Kuhn (PocahontasSinging Voice), Lillias White (Calliope) and Donna Murphy (Mother Gothel) as they celebrate the music of their films in honor of the one that started it all…“The Little Mermaid.” The ladies will share their memories of musically creating their characters with Alan, discuss what it means to be part of the Disney Princess/leading lady legacy, and create new memories as they sing with Alan around a baby grand piano.
- “What I Want From You…Is YOUR VOICE”: Enter the recording studio and get an inside look at the cast of “The Little Mermaid” in their original recording sessions.
- Stories From Walt’s Office – Gadgets & Gizmos: Like Ariel, Walt Disney was a collector of many different things, from miniatures to early mechanical characters that inspired the invention of audio-animatronics. Take a look at some the collections that Walt kept in his office.
- #TreasuresUntold: Join Ruby Rose Turner and Olivia Sanabia from the Disney Channel Original Series “Coop and Cami Ask the World” as they take a deep dive to explore some hidden treasures and fun facts about Disney’s “The Little Mermaid.”
- DCapella “Part of Your World” Music Video
- Classic Bonus Features: Revisit four exciting bonus features from previous releases including: Deleted Character: Harold The Merman; Under The Scene: The Art Of Live Action; Reference; Howard’s Lecture; Audio Commentary With Ron Clements, John Musker and Alan Menken
- “Part of Your World” – A 30-Year Retrospective: Songwriter Alan Menken and Jodi Benson, the acting and singing voice of Ariel, sing the epitome of Disney “I Want” songs “Part of Your World” and discuss its impact since it was first heard 30 years ago.
- Classic Bonus Features: –Over 3 additional hours of previously released classic bonus features including Deleted Scenes, Easter Eggs, Music Videos and more!
The Little Mermaid Printables and Movie Night
Celebrate the 30th anniversary with our free The Little Mermaid Printables and Coloring Sheets!