What is it that makes you…You? Pixar’s Soul, explores the answer to that question in its latest film, which stars the voice talents of Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey, Phylicia Rashad, and Angela Bassett. Pixar Soul has received numerous accolades since it debuted on Disney+ last winter including two Golden Globe Awards for Best Animated Film and Best Original Score/Music and three Academy Award nominations. Now available on digital, 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and DVD, Pixar Soul will include never-before-seen deleted scenes. Be sure to scroll down to download our free Pixar Soul printables, activity sheets, and recipes for your very own movie night.
Jamie Foxx stars as Joe Gardner, a middle-school band teacher with a passion for playing jazz. My music-loving, trombone-playing son immediately gravitated towards the film because of its music-centric story. When Joe gets lost in his music, he goes into “the zone,” an immersive stated that causes the rest of the world to melt away. One small misstep takes him from the streets of New York City to The Great Before, a fantastical place where new souls get their personalities, quirks, and interests before they go to Earth. It is here he meets soul 22 (Tina Fey), and together, they week to answer some of life’s biggest questions.
The film is absolutely beautiful. Visually, the animation is immersive and lush. The story is poignant and thought-provoking, making it best suited for families with tweens and teens. Pixar’s Soul ultimately tackles the existential question regarding the meaning of life, but there are so many other important messages of finding your passion and pursing your dreams. I watched the film with my kids, and my son in particular could not stop talking about the music. Music is central to the film’s storyline with jazz compositions and arrangements by Grammy nominee Jon Batiste. Representation is also significant, as Soul is the first Pixar film to feature a black lead character. The film authentically depicts black culture, specifically in the film’s score, the barber shop scenes, and Joe’s relationship with his mother.
Pixar Soul Bonus Features
The digital, 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD physical releases of Pixar’s Soul include exclusive, never-before-seen deleted scenes and audio commentary by Pete Docter, Kemp Powers and Dana Murray. Families can also purchase the collectible SteelBook at Best Buy and a limited-edition set including a gallery book at Target.
- Introduction – Writer Mike Jones and story supervisor Kristen Lester introduce the Soul deleted scenes.
- Mentor Orientation – Joe sneaks into the You Seminar Mentor Program orientation, trying to figure out how on earth he can get back to…Earth.
- Clubhouse Forgery – Joe follows 22 into her “secret lair” as she reluctantly agrees to help him find his way back to Earth.
- Home Lessons – Stuck inside Joe’s body, 22 clumsily attempts to help the downstairs neighbor.
- Living the Dream – Joe has a heart-to-heart with 22 about her fear of living on Earth, then tries to make his way back home via a dream portal.
- Press Shot – Joe, stuck in a cat’s body, and 22, stuck in Joe’s body, take the subway to the jazz club for a publicity photography session.
- Audio Commentary – View the film with audio commentary by director Pete Docter, co-director/writer Kemp Powers and producer Dana Murray.
- Not Your Average Joe – See the thought and care that went into crafting Joe and his story in Pixar’s first film to feature a Black leading character.
- Astral Taffy – Get an in-depth look at the artistry and technical innovation that went into creating the sets and characters of Soul’s world.
- Pretty Deep for a Cartoon – The filmmakers tackle big questions, such as: Where does a newborn’s personality come from? What’s the meaning of life? And more!
- Into the Zone: The Music and Sound of Soul – Explore the movie’s different sonic worlds and discover how music drives and adds specificity to Joe’s journey.
- Soul, Improvised – See how the Pixar Systems team and Soul’s crew managed to finish the film on schedule during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Jazz Greats – Giants of the jazz world who consulted on Soul share their passion and hard-won wisdom about what music is and does for us all.
Pixar Soul Printables, Activity Sheets, and Recipes
Celebrate the home entertainment release with our free Pixar Soul printables, activity sheets, and recipes for your Soul movie night.