Living in sunny Orange County means that we are close enough to the Disneyland Resort to make frequent visits. Very often, we’ll head out to the parks after school lets out for an afternoon and evening spent riding our favorites, catching the parade on Main Street, and noshing on Mickey-shaped beignets. With so much to see and do at the parks, we never attempt to “do it all,” rather we like to focus on specific parks and activities depending on our mood. We have stayed at one of the Disneyland Resort Hotels on occasion, and I can tell you that this is the ideal way to see as much of the parks as possible. There are so many reasons to stay at a Disneyland Resort Hotel, including all of the exciting amenities added to Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa during their recent refurbishment.
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa is located inside Disney California Adventure Park and offers guests who are staying at the resort special entrance to the park. Families can also enjoy Extra Magic Hour with early entrance to either park on select days. In addition to nearly 1000 rooms, three pools, and a concierge-level lounge, the hotel features three unique dining venues including Storytellers Cafe (with character dining), Napa Rose (with award-winning cuisine by Chef Andrew Sutton), and the Hearthstone Lounge (for casual bites). Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa recently underwent an expansive refurbishment with completely redesigned guest rooms, a refreshed lobby, pool area, and concierge-level lounge.
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa Upgrades
Great Hall Lobby
Did you know? The Great Hall Lobby at the hotel is actually six stories and features and Arts and Crafts motif. Here is a brief overview of the lobby’s upgrades.
- New stylish furnishings and design elements **
- Contemporary designs throughout the furniture pieces, upholstery, woodwork, and carpeting
- Custom tete-a-tete chairs
- Bold, upholstered sofa and chair pairings
- Complimentary coffee tables and lamp fixures
- Leather-topped stools feature hidden Mickeys
The concierge-level lounge has been renamed, The Veranda. The design draws inspiration from the designs of Charles Rennie Mackintosh who was a visionary of the Arts & Crafts movement in Glasgow. Club-level guests will enjoy complimentary refreshments and views of park fireworks in this exclusive space. Features include the following:
- New hardwood flooring
- Custom-designed rugs
- Finely-crafted artisanal furniture
- Specially-commissioned art
Guest rooms have been completely redesigned from the flooring and walls to furnishings and bathrooms. Many of the rooms also offer sweeping views of Disney California Adventure Park and Downtown Disney District.
- Hardwood-inspired flooring which transitions to soft, bright-toned carpeting
- Linens and pillows sport a bright, white palette
- Upgraded bathrooms include new fixtures
- New furniture is fashioned from quarter-sawn oak
- California-inspired artwork
- Quarter-sawn oak headboards with frame a tree mural and feature Chip n’ Dale playing
- Select rooms include a sleeper bed which features artwork of Bambi and other woodland creatures
- Desk, dresser, and coffee station countertops feature pieces of green glass from wine bottles
- Texture copper above the coffee bar is synchronous with the Craftsman design elements
- 55-inch smart TVs
- Keurig coffee makers
- Built-in USB chargers
Each of the resort’s three pools have been redesigned with natural stones and brick. The stone work was hand-laid by master stone masons, consistent with the Arts and Crafts style of the hotel.
This refurbishment of Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa is the hotel’s most extensive. While the hotel is known as a AAA Four Diamond Hotel, the recent updates elevate the guest experience and bring a contemporary approach to the Arts & Crafts design style.
7 Reasons to Stay a Disneyland Resort Hotel
- You will enjoy more time at the parks: Staying at a Disneyland Resort Hotel gives guests access to Extra Magic Hour so that they can enjoy attractions and entertainment an hour before opening. I recommend using this time to experience or book FASTPASSES for popular attractions like Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!
- You can walk to the parks: All three Disneyland Resort Hotels are within walking distance of Disneyland Park, Disney California Adventure Park, and Downtown Disney District. This makes it easy for families with young children to take rests at the hotel and then return to the parks easily.
- You can book a character dining experience: Dine with Mickey and friends at one of select Disneyland Resort Hotel Restaurants. I recommend booking a breakfast dining experience to start your day off with a bit of magic.
- You can experience all of the luxuries of a resort hotel and the parks: Themed pools and cabanas, world-class spas, fine dining, live music, movies under the stars, and more are available to guests of Disneyland Resort Hotels.
- You can receive a wake-up call from Mickey, Minnie, or one of your favorite Disney Characters: Contact the Concierge Desk for your magical wake-up call.
- You can receive preferred access to reservations: A limited number of reservations are reserved for hotel guests including popular eateries at the parks, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, and Anna and Elsa’s Boutique.
- You can celebrate your special occasion with a magical in-room celebration: Add a sprinkle of pixie dust to your most important moments including anniversaries, birthdays, and more. Celebrations can also include Frozen and Star Wars-themed surprises.
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa Address and Information
1600 S. Disneyland Drive