With the coming school year just around the corner, stores are already in place to outfit and equip would-be students. Our local Walmart’s back-to-school section already has some of the supply lists printed from local schools, which makes it very convenient for parents who are planning and shopping for the new year.
Earlier this week, I introduced you to Classrooms by Walmart, an online tool designed to help parents and teachers create and shop for school supplies. Our school’s Kindergarten list wasn’t up yet even though our school was listed, so I did a search on the school’s actual website and found a list to guide us.
While the Kindergarten list seems very manageable, I’ve heard from parents with older children that each year the list gets longer and supplies can add up. Because I am an avid comparison shopper, I would likely shop from a few stores to ensure I received the lowest prices if our son’s list was that expansive.
For many parents, comparison shopping via ad, on-line, or in-stores takes too much time and effort. Because Walmart is committed to offering it’s customers the lowest prices, I was challenged to shop for my son’s school supplies at our local store and a competitor. The obvious choice was Target.
Here is what I purchased:
- Huggies Natural Care Wipes Baby Wipes $2.64
- Kleenex Facial Tissues $1.33
- (2) 70 Count Wide Ruled Notebooks $0.64
- Elmer’s Glue Sticks (Pack of 6) $0.99
- Elmer’s School Glue $0.87
- Fiskars Scissors $1.89
- Crayola Markers (Pack of 10) $2.94
- (2) Crayola Large Crayons (Pack of 8) $2.24
- (4) Crayola Small Crayons (Pack of 24) $2.94
- Crayola Colored Pencils (Pack of 12) $0.99
- Bic Mechanical Pencils (Pack of 8) $0.99
- Black Sharpie Permanent Markers (Pack of 4) $3.99
- Sharpie Highlighters (Pack of 8) $4.34
Total: $38.49 (excluding tax)
*Note* Bic Ballpoint Pens omitted from challenge because identical item could not be found at Walmart
- Huggies Natural Care Wipes Baby Wipes $1.97
- Kleenex Facial Tissues $1.57
- (2) 70 Count Wide Ruled Notebooks $0.17
- Elmer’s Glue Sticks (Pack of 6) $1.97
- Elmer’s School Glue $0.50
- Fiskars Scissors $1.47
- Crayola Markers (Pack of 8) $1.97
- (2) Crayola Large Crayons (Pack of 8) $1.88
- (4) Crayola Small Crayons (Pack of 24) $0.50
- Crayola Colored Pencils (Pack of 12) $2.97
- Bic Mechanical Pencils (Pack of 10) $1.47
- Black Sharpie Permanent Markers (Pack of 4) $3.82
- Sharpie Highlighters (Pack of 12) $4.97
Total: $28.78 (excluding tax)
While there were a few items I found to be cheaper, I saved $9.71 by shopping at Walmart. If you think about it, you could likely purchase additional school supplies with that almost $10 savings. As the list gets longer, I imagine the savings will get greater.
Check out Walmart’s Back-To-School selection either online or in person for great savings on school supplies.
Disclosure: I participate in the Walmart Moms program and am compensated for my time and honest opinions.
Additional set of school supplies donated.