I saw The Nutcracker for the first time as a child, mesmerized by the beauty and grace exhibited by the ballet dancers. The two-act ballet by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky was adapted from The Nutcracker and the Mouse King by E.T.A. Hoffmann. Ironically, the original production was unsuccessful. However, Tchaikovsky extracted a 20 minute segment that gained popularity. Today, the complete ballet is performed around Christmas and follows the story of a toy Nutcracker, that comes alive. After defeating the evil Mouse King in a battle, the Nutcracker takes her to a magical kingdom.
The Nutcracker at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts
This season, families can enjoy 14 performances of The Nutcracker at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts. The ballet is choreographed by Alexei Ratmansky with music performed by the Pacific Symphony. The cast includes 40 students from the American Ballet Theatre William J. Gillespie School at Segerstrom Center and eight additional talented young dancers from Orange County alongside the American Ballet Theatre company. This particular story with a score by Tchaikovsky takes young Clara and her Nutcracker Prince on a dreamlike journey.
Performances of The Nutcracker run December 14 through 23, 2018. Single tickets start at $29 and can be purchased online, via phone (714.556.2787) or in person at the Box office.
American Ballet Theatre
The American Ballet Theatre is one of the greatest dance companies in the world, now recognized as a living national treasure. Each year, the company performs for more than 300,000 people in the US. The company has also performed in 132 cities across 50 countries.
Holidays Around the World at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts
Celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa at the brand new Julianne and George Argyros Plaza this winter. The celebration takes place December 14-16 and 19-23, 2018 and includes free performances and family activities inspired by these holidays.
- South Coast Chinese Orchestra
- Die Gemütlichen Schuhplattler German dance group
- Bollywood Deewane Indian dance group
- Vanguard University Guitar Duo
- Teacher Cheer Pan Chinese Dance
- Irvine Senior Harmonica Band
- Grupo Infantil de Danza Regional Mexicana
- Mariachi Toro de Saul Reynoso
- Denean Dyson
- Lil’ Dickens Carolers
- Navy Band Southwest Trombone Ensemble
- UkesFun ukulele ensemble
- Reverb Tap Company
- MenAlive Orange County Gay Men’s Chorus
- Riamh Irish chamber folk ensemble
- OC Cello Choir and Bell3Musique
- Meistersingers classical choral group
- Local student performances from Irvine Unified School District Vocal Ensemble, Isaac Sowers Middle School Wind Ensemble, McFadden Intermediate School Vocal Ensemble and Handbells, Davis Magnet School Choir, Sonora Elementary School Show Choir, Segerstrom High School Chamber Singers, and two ensembles from Orange County School of the Arts: Classical Voice and Unplugged Holiday Carolers
- Center Express Train
- Petting Zoo
- Holiday cookie decorating and cocoa with George’s Café (nominal fee)
- Arts and crafts with the South Coast Chinese Cultural Association
- Storytelling in the Community Grove (readings with the Orange County Children’s Book Festival)
- Japanese folktales with Sunny Seki
- Swazzle Holiday Show Puppet Show Extravaganza
Share in the joy of the season by bringing a new and unwrapped gift for the Buena Clinton Youth and Family Center Toy Drive. Acceptable donations include board games, card games, gift cards and toys. Learn more about Holidays Around the World at SCFTA.org.