As much as I enjoy a long run or a few hours of dancing, consistency is my biggest hurdle when it comes to working out. The busyness of the holidays combined with some really cold weather gave me too many excuses to “take a day off.” Thankfully, the new year is always a chance to reset and transform the inconsistent to the habitual.
From boot camp to spin, and everything in between, I still find running to be my favorite way to work out. There are so many health benefits to running, but beyond that, it’s something I can do anywhere for free! I also love the added benefits of extra energy, deeper sleep and an overall improvement in my mood.
While running is an activity most people can begin immediately (with the consent of your physician), you’ll want to consider these top 7 running tips for beginners.
- Invest in quality running shoes and fitness apparel. If you have any knowledge of running, than you’ve likely heard of the perils of blisters, shin splints and much more. Many of these injuries can be attributed to an improperly fitted shoe. When it comes to fitness wear, comfort and support are key. Choose lightweight, breathable, moisture-wicking fabrics to keep you cool and comfortable during your run.
- Consider following an established training program. This becomes particularly important if you are a beginner. A training program can help you build endurance safely while achieving your fitness goals.
- Pay attention to your diet. Fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains will ensure your body is able to perform in spite of the increased physical demand.
- Hydrate. Because you will sweat during a run, you should aim to hydrate before, during and after in order to avoid dehydration.
- Don’t forget to stretch. To avoid sustaining injuries during running, be sure to warm up and stretch muscles.
- Build in rest days. In order for your body to recover, you’ll need to schedule time to rest. Not only will you avoid injury, you’ll progress safely and more efficiently towards your goals.
- Get social. Running can often leave one feeling isolated. In order to maintain consistency, consider finding a running partner who can help keep you accountable. You can also join a local running club or train for a common race with a local group.
One of the things I like to do at the beginning of a new year is to invest in new running attire. I always shop for my fitness essentials at my local Walmart since they carry Danskin, one of my favorite activewear brands. During the winter, I prefer to run in pants since it’s cool outside, so I picked up a pair of Active Compression Capri Pants. The contoured fit and nylon-spandex fabric blend provides ultimate comfort during workouts.
As a female runner, a supportive sports bra is essential. I like Danskin’s full coverage sports bras which can be worn on their own when it’s warm. I picked out Danskin Now’s Seamless Foam Cup Sports Bra which offers maximum support and a bottom support band. The foam cup (as opposed to a wired bra) ensures comfort during running.
Admittedly, one of my excuses for not running a few weeks ago was braving the cold, so I decided to purchase a French Terry Jacket. The cotton/polyester blend provides sufficient warmth and is perfect for warming up before a run.
I completed my look with Danskin Now’s Run2 Running Shoe. These shoes are lightweight and durable with a supportive sole. Designed for walking and jogging, these shoes are perfectly priced at just under $15.