Now that Spring is officially here, I’ve been finding some of my favorite fruits and veggies in abundance at my local market. Check out these gorgeous California Strawberries I picked up over the weekend!
Strawberries are a favorite in our household, and now that they’re in season, we’ll be eating plenty of them since my kids can’t get enough of them. Not only are they sweet, juicy, and delicious, they’re full of important nutrients. Last year, I had the honor of joining the California Strawberry Commission in Monterey for an immersive look at how our local strawberries are grown, packed, and shipped for delivery. What I found most surprising about the experience was how good this superfruit is for you! Here are five things you might now know about strawberries, according to the California Strawberry Commission:
- Eight medium-sized strawberries contain more vitamin C than an orange and only 45 calories and 7 grams of sugar.
- The American Diabetes Association identifies berries, including strawberries, as one of the top 10 superfoods for a diabetes meal plan because they are packed with vitamins, antioxidants and dietary fiber.
- Eating strawberries more than twice a week appears to delay cognitive aging by up to 2.5 years, according to a study in the July 2012 issue of Annals of Neurology.
- The antioxidants, fiber, and phytochemicals in strawberries have been shown to reduce risk factors for disease.
- The potassium in strawberries can help control blood pressure and fight strokes and the vitamin C helps repair cell damage in the body and promotes a healthy immune system
As we near the end of National Nutrition Month, I’ll be sharing some of my favorite homemade recipes using my favorite locally grown fruits and vegetables, including California Avocados and Grimmway Carrots!
What are your favorite strawberry recipes? This week I’ll share a homemade Strawberries and Cream Gelato that is to die for!
No compensation was received for this post. Some information/facts via the California Strawberry Commission.
Images: California Strawberry Commission unless otherwise noted.