The first time I walked into a Northgate Gonzalez Market, I immediately thought about my father and those days as a child when he would take me to our local Hispanic Market for plantain chips, dulce de leche, and coconut soda. Food is an integral part of our culture, and my father used those visits to the market to talk about traditional Puerto Rican dishes like pasteles, arroz con pollo and tembleque.
Northgate is the premiere supermarket chain serving the Latino Community in Southern California. With over 40 stores in Los Angeles and Orange County, Hispanic families have access to fresh and prepared foods, organics, relevant brands, and personalized services. Their newest Flagship location opened in La Habra, California last week and features an expanded bakery section, a brand new La Tiendita featuring Tosti-locos, and an expansive seafood section featuring ceviche and sushi.
When the store opened last week, guests were treated to a celebratory cake, food samples, and a bag filled with Northgate Market Products. If you missed the store’s grand opening, be sure to visit their website and view the In-Store Events for your local store.
As I walked through the store in La Habra, I was in awe of the diverse, comprehensive Hispanic food and merchandise offerings. I can’t walk into the store without visiting my favorite departments, including the Panaderia, Taqueria, and Fresh Juice Bar. Before your next visit to your local store, look for these 5 Foods You’ll Love at Northgate Market.
- Pan Dulce: These Mexican sweet breads are a popular breakfast item and topped with crystallized sugar. You’ll find an wide assortment of pan dulce at Northgate Market along with 100 baked goods made fresh daily. Don’t forget to pair your pan dulce with a cafecito at La Barra Café.
- Tortillas: You will smell the tortillas before you see them! Their tortilleria features flour and corn tortillas made in-store from Northgate’s Masa (which is also made from stone ground corn daily).
- Fresh Seafood and Ceviche: Northgate has an expansive seafood section which includes ceviche and cockatails along with fresh fish, crab and octopus.
- Exotic Produce: Northgate Market’s produce section is one of the largest, featuring an expansive selection of organic produce. They also sell exotic produce like dragonfruit, jackfruit and cactus (nopales).
- Tamarindo and Other Sweets (Dulce): La Tiendita is exclusive to the La Habra Northgate Market and offers exotic candies like Tamarindo and Limon y Azucar. You’ll also find Tosti-locals, Churros and ice cream.
La Habra’s Northgate Gonzalez Market also features hot and cold food bars with 8 varieties of Tamales, an expanded Chef’s Case and Torta Shop with made-to-order wraps and sandwiches, a made-to-order Taqueria and Loncheria, and El Mercadito featuring specialty meats and cheeses.
Northgate Gonzalez Markets is located at:
- Northgate Market La Habra: 1305 W. Whittier Blvd, La Habra, California 90631
Here is a list of a few other Northgate Markets in Orange County, California:
- 1150 N. East St, Anaheim, California 92805
- 720 W. La Palma Avenue Anaheim, California 92801
- 409 E. 4th St. Santa Ana, California, 9270