In the midst of grilling burgers and skewered vegetables, and preparing my dad’s signature potato salad, we never lost site of the meaning of Memorial Day. My uncle served during Vietnam and I’m frequently reminded that the cost of freedom is high. While this day is often associated with the beginning of summer and celebrated with picnics and backyard parties, I encourage you to remember the men and women who have fought to preserve our freedoms.
Since Summer is on the horizon, I thought I would share some easy Memorial Day recipes. These recipes are meant to be easy enough to prepare for an outdoor party without a lot of time or effort.
15 Memorial Day Recipes
1. Summer Tomato Salad: When it’s too hot to cook, serve up this Summer Tomato Salad which features tomato, onion, cucumbers, green olives and Mozzarella Cheese.
2. Indoor Grilled Veggies: An easy way to get in your veggies is to grill them! Add flavor and texture with olive oil and your favorite spices.
3. Greek Pasta Salad: Side dishes are integral to you Memorial Day Celebration. This Greek Pasta Salad features cucumbers, olives and feta cheese and can be topped with a protein for a heartier dish.
4. Blackberry Iced Tea: Cool off with this refreshing Blackberry Ice Tea, which includes fresh blackberries. Serve it in mason jars for an elegant addition to your Memorial Day Party.
5. Caprese Pasta Salad: Do you love Caprese but prefer a dish with a little more substance? Try this Caprese Pasta Salad which features cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and mozzarella cheese.
6. Bacon Wrapped Chicken and Potatoes: Elevate your traditional baked chicken and potatoes dish with bacon. The bacon serves to keep the chicken moist inside while infusing its natural flavor into the dish. The entire meal, perfect for Memorial Day, can be ready in just under an hour.
7. Bacon Wrapped BBQ Turkey Tenders: If time is short, you can whip up this recipe easily using frozen turkey tenders. Wrap the turkey tenders with bacon, brush with BBQ sauce and grill for 5-10 minutes on each side.
8. Overloaded Bacon Burgers: Calling all bacon lovers! These burgers include a mixture of beef and bacon and are then topped with additional strips of cooked bacon.
9. Nectarine Infused Sun Tea: Impress your Memorial Day guests with this Nectarine-Infused Tea, which fuses the stone fruit with pomegranate iced tea.
10. Southern Sweet Tea Popsicles: Looking for an adult treat for you Memorial Day Party? These sweet tea popsicles are a frozen version of your favorite drink complete with a sliced lemon inside.
11. Apple Salad with Kale and Cranberries: Looking for a quick healthy salad to serve as a side dish this Memorial Day? This apple salad features kale, cranberries and a balsamic vinaigrette.
12. Modern Macaroni Salad: This macaroni salad is guilt-free and tastes incredible. Made with gluten-free macaroni, it features a rainbow of vegetables and a creamy vegan dressing.
13. Barbecue Glazed Bacon: Who says bacon is reserved for breakfast? Grill several slices of thick bacon for your next get-together and enjoy your favorite food in a new way.
14. Summer Veggie Pasta Salad: Vegetarians will love this gluten-free Vegetable Pasta Salad packed with colorful summer vegetables and infused with a zesty Italian dressing.
15. Barbecue Chicken Pasta Salad: If you love the taste of barbecue but you are short on time, you can use a prepared dry rub smoked chicken and barbecue corn in this pasta salad for that same authentic flavor. Prepare your favorite noodles, slice up a variety of vegetables and you’ll have a hearty Memorial Day Dish in less than 30 minutes.
All images used with permission.