The Moistest Chocolate Cake + A Giveaway
This giveaway is now closed. Thanks for stopping by. The winner is Dorothy T. Congrats!
This is part of a compensated campaign with Hellmann’s.
One of my favorite things to do is bake, and if you’ve read my blog for any amount of time, then you know that I do a lot of it. During my time in New York with Hellmann’s I finally had an opportunity to try Mario Batali’s recipe for a chocolate cake (via Magnolia Bakery who provided the celebration cupcakes) and it was absolutely divine, rich and incredibly moist. The secret? Hellmann’s Mayonniase! I’ve cooked up a number of savory dishes using America’s favorite mayo, but have never attempted to incorporate it into baked goods.
The recipe Mario Batali originated is simple and straightforward and uses ingredients you likely have in your kitchen like flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and eggs. If you visit the brand’s website, you’ll find a few different versions of this recipe, but today I’m sharing the one Magnolia Bakery created in celebration of Hellmann’s 100 year anniversary because it includes their scrumptious vanilla buttercream frosting!
Magnolia Bakery Chocolate Cupcakes (via Hellmann’s)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup Hellmann’s or Best Foods Real Mayonnaise
- 1 1/3 cups room temperature water
- Preheat oven to 275°.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder and set aside.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Beat in mayonnaise at low speed until blended.
- Alternately beat in flour mixture with room temperature water, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Fill the prepared cupcake liners with batter ¾ full.
- Bake for 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes then remove from pans and cool completely.
Magnolia Bakery Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (via Hellmann’s)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 box (4 cups) confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsp. to 3 Tbsp. milk
- Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar 1 cup at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl often.
- When the mixture starts to thicken and appears dry add 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add more milk as needed if you want a thinner consistency.
- Store the icing at room temperature. Icing can also be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Have you ever used mayonnaise in baked goods? I’d love to hear your stories and experiences.
Today, Hellmann’s and I want to celebrate one of you!
Win It! One of you will win a $200 American Express Gift Card! Simply leave a comment with your favorite “sweet” recipe using Hellmann’s Mayonnaise!
Comments will close on December 31st, 2013!
US Residents only. Duplicates and comments not including the above information will be disqualified. Comments are moderated. If you don’t see your comment in a reasonable amount of time, send me an email. Bloggers and non-bloggers may enter. If you don’t want to leave your email address, please be sure to check back for my announcement on the winner. Please note that winners must respond within 48 hours of being announced/contacted or another winner will be drawn.
Want an extra entry? Do any or all of the following and receive an extra entry for each one. Be sure to leave me a separate comment for each additional entry.
Follow me on Pinterest
Follow me on Instagram
Follow me on Google+
Follow me on Twitter and tweet the following (or something like it) “I just entered a #giveaway to win a gift card from @hellmanns @rockinmama #Hellmanns100” Daily tweets are allowed but please leave the permalink in the comments section so I can easily keep track
Rockin’ Mama Facebook fans automatically receive an extra entry
Subscribe to my feed via email or reader.
Blog about this giveaway. It doesn’t have to be a separate post. Just include a blurb when you blog about other giveaways/promotions
Click on one of the cute buttons below and digg, stumble, fav, etc. Just let me know what you did in the comments section